Sunday, July 26, 2020

MSLN

Other posts referencing MSLN here.

I've tried coming up with a name for the worldview given by my writing, and I'm not sure I have a good name yet. So for now, at least in writing, I use "MSLN", which are the letters of Metaphysical Organism, Simantism, Legitimacy, and the New Wine System.

The New Wine System is a version of Christianity which says that people aren't finally judged when they die, but rather wait until the end of the world. Then everyone(*) is resurrected to new bodies free from effects of the Fall, and everyone(*) has a fair chance to work on their sinful habits, helped by other people who are more mature. They get 1,000 years to overcome all their sinful habits.

(* There are exceptions. At any point, in either this life or the next, if people are completely hardened to the voice of God calling them to holiness/spiritual maturity/genuine love, then they don't get resurrected, but instead are punished fairly for their sins, having rejected Jesus' forgiveness, and then don't exist anymore -- "annihilation", like that of death in the atheistic worldview. Those who refuse to fully mature are among these exceptions.)

That is a simplification, but I hope accurate enough as a quick introduction. More information about the New Wine System can be found at my source for it, here.

The ideas represented by the different letters of MSLN are meant to be compatible with each other, and can form one whole. It's certainly possible to pick one of the ideas in isolation, independent of the others. In other words, there is a certain amount of independence of the arguments, three philosophical and one doctrinal. I may use "MSLN" when a particular letter may, but does not necessarily, apply in context, but another letter or letters do necessarily apply.

2 January 2022: I use "MSL" to refer to the three philosophical arguments considered together apart from the doctrinal one.

MSLN could be looked at as a circle which includes a certain kind of philosophy and a certain kind of Christianity, which share the motivational structure which the New Wine System has in contrast to Catholicism and Protestantism (and maybe also in contrast to Eastern Orthodoxy).

12 September 2023: Often on this blog, I use "New Wine" to refer to the basic idea of "you need to become holy; you will have the Millennium in which to become holy". I got this from Philip Brown's New Wine System but I think I should use (from now on) a different term for that basic idea, to allow Brown to have "New Wine" as his own label for his own writing. That basic idea can be called "millennial holiness".

11 February 2024: I now see the basic idea of MSLN as being "you need to become holy, emphasis on you, in other words it's up to you and you could choose not to; you will have the Millennium in which to become holy". So the new term I would use is "voluntary millennial holiness".

3 comments:

  1. Your description of the New Wine System sound exactly like Mormon theology. Mormons believe in a universal resurrection for all who lived on this earth, and a final judgement not at death but at the end of the Millennium. Officially, they have no position on "eternal progression", meaning they have no revelation on whether we have more opportunities outside this life to learn and grow, but they practice proxy ordinances for the dead; why do this if you don't believe the dead can progress?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. should have read "no revelation on whether we have more opportunities to progress within kingdoms of glory", which introduces more doctrine... but that's where the lack of clarity is on "eternal progression" in that faith. They certainly believe in more opportunities to learn and grow.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tip. I remember Philip Brown (New Wine System developer) having some comment about Mormonism providing hope for people who died without hearing the gospel. I think that Catholicism offers a purgatory where people can pray for the dead (similar in some sense to baptism for the dead, (the Mormon ordinance for the dead I've heard of)?) but ... I'm not totally sure I know how purgatory works, but it seems like maybe the dead person is a passive recipient of the prayers, and this could be how baptism for the dead works. Something that I should probably add to this post when I get a chance is a belief that I have (which I can call "MSLN", since that's my label) which may not be found in the New Wine System (Philip Brown's label), which is the idea that there is some component to salvation which each of us is 100% responsible for, which is for our hearts to fully come into tune with God's / for us to fully repent in our intentions. And in this area, no one can receive any kind of prayers for the dead / baptism for the dead.

    A friend of the blog is Mormon, and maybe he can give me advice on this topic. In any case, I can see that I probably should add Mormonism to the list of things to study someday.

    ReplyDelete