Thursday, February 4, 2021

Book Review Preview: Principles of Human Knowledge by George Berkeley

I've been meaning to read something by George Berkeley for a while. I have a copy of Principles of Human Knowledge, so I thought I would read that. I think Berkeley may support my project (in somewhat uninteresting ways -- not surprising because I based my project on what I'd heard about him), but also challenge it. For instance, Berkeley was against the reality of abstractions (I think?) and I am for them -- but maybe the sense in which Berkeley was against abstractions is not the same in which I am for them. Overall, I remember Berkeley as being someone into showing that everything is minds and ideas (I would say, persons and experiences). This is basically what I'm into.

One thing I am interested to see is his anti-material substance arguments.

No comments:

Post a Comment