Thursday, June 9, 2022

Habitus; Misremembering

I watched an Alice Cappelle video (unfortunately, I don't remember which one) in which she related something to the concept of "habitus", from sociology.

I don't always faithfully remember what I pick up from other people, but sometimes prefer to use my own memory or misremembering of a concept in my own writing, as though my writing is my own world suited to my own mind, the way the misremembering is. I suspect I have done this with a similar concept, sarkar, which I got from a B. K. Shivani video (unfortunately, I also don't remember which one).

My memory of "habitus" is that it is the way in which the people around you in a given social setting (peer group, scene, organization, nation) condition you to play your role in it -- and, if you play your role, you are conditioning the other people in that social setting to play their role.

The conditioning could be a mindset, vibe, or sarkar. Or could come from having to be responsible for certain things, or meeting certain expectations. People might not be intentional when they condition you into your/their habitus -- probably often or usually aren't.

Habitus is like a reciprocating engine, which vibrates at a certain frequency and is self-sustaining. Maybe habitus is the sarkar, or part of the sarkar, of groups of people.

The instinct to respond (which sometimes is "responsibility" as we normally term it, or it could be something else, like a self-interested hunger) is, perhaps, what makes habitus run. So bad societies can run on bad responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment