Thursday, May 13, 2021

Relating to My Reality

Let's say I'm having a day where I tend to feel bad. I am prone to bad moods. Being in a bad mood is something that hides itself. Instead, I see things in a bad light. But the things themselves aren't the real issue. It's the mood that's the problem.

By identifying that the mood is the problem, I can stop seeing things in a bad light. When I do that, my mood improves. We might also think that by realizing that my mood is my problem, I am accepting it, instead of resisting it, and this makes me feel better.

However, we can take this basic situation a couple of different directions, besides the above. One is to say that the mood is a thing other than me. When it is other than me, I can be myself. I am no longer it, and although it is still something I feel, I exist apart from it and can relate to it. Becoming myself (for the nth time) is something that enables me to see the truth and God -- I was myself all along, and God always existed, but I lost sight of that truth. All truth is known by a person relating to what is not-them. (This is a kind of simantist approach.)

Another way to go is to say that we live on different levels. There is the level of feeling in the moment, and the social reality, the one we can easily talk about. Then there is the spiritual reality. With those who have spiritual eyes, it's possible to see a mood as something profound, as a spiritual reality (a certain kind of life reality and simantic word). There is something deep about life, and understanding the depth of a situation can bring peace -- at least on some levels. To see that, spiritually, "here I am", stuck as I am inside the giant fishbowl of a mood, that fishbowl is a profound thing and I am deep in it, and oddly, this can bring peace through depth. (This is somewhat analogous to Hassel's levels of consciousness.)

No comments:

Post a Comment